Category Archives: Minutes

Board Meeting September 19, 2018

  • Present: M Kahn, J Kollmann, M Hughes, R Hinz, J Tyson, C Adler, L Dillard

1)  Finance report per B Rogers, outgoing Treasurer:
    Checking Account, $ 11,836.19, Asset Replacement Account,                $19,286.29

a) L Dillard was officially installed as new treasurer for the farm with a motion by J Kollmann, seconded,  C Adler.
Unanimously approved.

b) M Kahn was officially installed as President of the farm board with a motion by M Hughes and seconded by J Kollmann.
Unanimously approved.

2) Welcome to our two new bee hives! Hopefully they will stay healthy and our crops will do well with their presence.

3) Weather station for the farm has been approved by Skidaway Audubon.  They will fund installation and operating  costs.  This will be installed by R Hinz.

4) Pathways are in need of new  pine straw, a cost of around $500 approved per the Board.  A work party will be scheduled for mid to late October for distribution on the pathways.

5) Work party set for Saturday, 9/22, 8-11.  Discussion ensued to look at finances and increase maintenance budget to have more of the cleanup work done by the team that currently takes care of mowing, weed control on pathways and plot clearing as needed.

6) Signs will be obtained by R Hinz for fence line  reminding farmers not to throw debris over the fence.  It gets caught on the electric fence wire causing it to short out.  

7) Tractor needs repair, new seat has been installed, and fuel pump is on order reported by R Hinz.

8) Need to update Data Base and Farm Map.  C Adler to email R Cunningham and B  to meet with the Board to accomplish this.  

Motion to adjourn per J Kollmann, second per M Kahn

Next meeting, 10/10, 5pm @ the board room at club offices.


Skidaway Farms Board Meeting Minutes

      Farm Board Meeting Minutes May 2, 2018

Present: M Welsh, J Kollmann, C Adler, M Hughes, J Tyson,

M Kahn, B Rogers, R Hinz

1)  Festival setup details complete, work party for table/chair setup and flower arranging set for 10:00 Sunday morning. Monica will send blast to farmers.

2) Farm purchases, per Ralph: new waterproof controller box needed for electric fence controller. Also a tool for determining where the breech is in electric fence.  This tool will streamline the process.  Both purchases run around $100 each and Board approval received.  

3) Blueberry bushes:  has been noted that several farmers have blueberry bushes in their plots.. will monitor growth, placement and potential effect on surrounding plots.

4) Budget will be announced at next meeting which will be Annual Meeting. Current balances: Checking: $17,165 , Asset Replacement: $16,274

5) Tax return for farm filed per C Adler. Discussed keeping copies of payment checks for records. Login info for bank account given to M Welsh, J Kollmann, C Adler in addition to B Rogers

6) Overhead irrigation:  noted that some farmers have dry areas in plots.  Discussion notes that sprinkler heads were for turf irrigation and therefore not the ideal head for plots.  Farmers need to monitor especially with new plantings.

7) Annual Meeting to be held 6/13 at 5:00 PM at the farm.  Monica will send notice blast to farmers.

Motion to adjourn per J Kollmann, second per C Adler

Farm Board Meeting Minutes, March 7, 2018


Present:  M Welsh,  J Kollmann,  C Adler,  B Rogers,  M Hughes,        M Kahn, R Hinz
Absent:  J Tyson

  1. Financial Report per B Rogers: plot renewals continue to be posted.   Bob will gather information for the approval of the budget for our April Board meeting.
    Checking Account: $12,681.71 , Asset Replacement Account: $16,269.48

2.  Eight new farmers have signed on since the first of the year.        Plans to enclose a few more plots with lumber discussed.

3.  All irrigation controllers on raised beds reinstalled after frosty weather has passed.  Several replaced and repairs done as needed.  Discussion ensued about how to go forward with maintenance of the controllers on the raised beds, ie farmer responsible or Ralph to maintain for a fee.  Cathy will draft a letter to all raised bed farmers to be sent after Board approval.

4.  Spring Festival set for May 6, rain date: May 8.  Joe and Tom will put together a group to take care of food as the Club will not be able to do this year.  Will gather a group of volunteers to take care of desserts. Ticket prices will increase to cover food costs.  Individual: $25, Couples: $50, Family: $65

5.  Work party at the farm set for April 7, Monica will blast as time gets closer.

Next meeting: April 4, 5 PM @ the farm

Motion to adjourn JK,  second, MW

Board Meeting Minutes February 1, 2018

Present: M Welsh, J Kollmann, M Hughes, M Kahn, B Rogers,
Absent: C Adler, J Tyson

1) Finance report per B Rogers, checking acct: $10,061.01, asset replacement acct.:
$16,269.48. Plot renewal funds continue to come in.

2) Weather station information presented per R Cunningham. Discussion per Board present, will wait with final decision when entire board present.

3) Lumber has been delivered for B plot enclosures as well as lumber for redesign of children’s individual gardens…total cost:$233.96.

4) Work party 2/3 for plot enclosure. Spring cleanup to be scheduled next meeting.

5) Spring Festival slated for 5/6, final okay to be verified with T Rosen. Tickets prices discussed, final decision to come when full Board present. Monica to post save the date for Festival after verification as well as an out of town notification to perspective farmers for the end of February.

6) Work party for spring cleanup to be scheduled in March.

7) Rotary Fun Date, 5/2. Discussion whether  to participate.  Final decision next meeting when complete Board present.

8) Available plot update: currently 20 available, though some need further solarization.
2 new farmers so far this year.

9) Irrigation update per R Hinz: one frozen overhead irrigation pipe repaired, may have to look into option that drains these pipes in sustained freezing weather to prevent further occurrences. Cost price will be researched.

Next meeting 3/7/18

Motion to adjourn per J Kollmann, second per M Welsh

Board Meeting Minutes: January 17, 2018

Present:  J. Kollmann, B. Rogers, C. Adler, J. Tyson, M. Hughes, 

M. Kahn, R. Hinz,  Absent: M. Welsh

 1) Financial report per B.Rogers, $11,263.88 in checking account,    $13,938.53 in asset replacement account.
 Motion made per C.Adler to move  $5,000 from checking account to asset replacement account.  Second per J.Kollmann, unanimously approved by all.

 2) Spring Festival: date set for May 6th, 2018. Joe will speak to T Rosen to verify with Club/Chefs that date is ok.  Discussed increasing the ticket prices as it is a farm fundraiser.  After February meeting Monica will send a “save the date” blast to all farmers for the Festival.
 Skidaway Audubon is funding/donating weather stations throughout the Landings, including the farm. The statistics will be tracked through The Weather Underground.
 Monica will purchase a soil temperature thermometer for the farm and will be mounted in the Pavilion for all farmers to use.

 3) Board approved the Farms donation of $200 to be a hole sponsor at the upcoming Audubon Golf Tournament.

 4) Board approved the purchase of lumber for rebuilding the individual plots of the Children’s Garden. A farmer has volunteered to assist with the construction.

 5) Irrigation update per R.Hinz: irrigation controller seems to loose memory when irrigation is turned off and back on, will change the battery and monitor. The pump will remain off until Saturday when the weather is to moderate.
 Electric fence update: west side of fence at starting left of main gate isn’t functioning properly, probable replacement of bottom wire will be necessary, will need to look into finding an Electrician for the work.
 Deer Fence update: has been noted there are a number of warped, broken boards in Fence that will need to be addressed. The Board will do a walk around at the farm to determine repair needs.

 6) Board approved purchase of lumber to enclose 2 plots in section B to improve the “curb appeal” as folks enter the farm. C. Adler will check with her contact at Guerry Lumber to obtain a discounted price for lumber supplies for both this project and the Children’s Garden project. Work party will gather on 2/3 to install lumber surrounding the two plots to ready for rental.

 Next meeting Feb.1, 5pm at Club Offices

 Motion to adjourn per J. Kollmann, second per C. Adler

Skidaway Farms Board Meeting Minutes 11/8/2017

Present: M. Welsh, J. Kollmann, J. Tyson, M. Hughes, B. Rogers,     M.Hughes, R. Hinz

1) Treasurer Report: checking account : $14,930.67

       Asset replacement account: $11,263.88.

      New computer and Quick Books program purchased for $550                   

2) Wet area between raised beds discussed.
      a) soil cloth to be removed, Ralph will cap an outer irrigation line   to see if things improve.  A French drain may need to be installed to assist with drainage in the area. An estimate will be obtained for the addition of 200 square feet of stone potentially to be applied to the area.
    b) overhead irrigation is up and running in the Organic Section.

3) The Landings Garden Club will host a propagation workshop in the Pavilion on 11/9

4) St Andrews first grade class to visit the farm on 11/13 for their annual field trip; this includes a discovery tour, an assignment and concludes with a picnic lunch in the Pavilion.

Motion to adjourn per J Kollmann, second per M. Kahn

Next meeting 12/12/7,  5:00 @ Landings Club Office

Skidaway Farms Board Meeting 10/4/2017

Present: M Welsh, J Kollmann, M Hughes, C Adler, J Tyson, B Rogers, R Hinz, M Hahn

1) Financial Report per B Rogers: Operating : $15,038.72, Reserve: $11,263.88
Bob also reports our donated computer is on its last leg. Authorization for new computer approved, motion per C Adler, second per J Kollmann, approved by all.
After research and discussion with Geek Squad at Best Buy, was determined pkg for computer and install of updated Quick Books cost would be around $500. Bob will discuss with R Cunningham how best to backup farm data.

2) Swamplike area by raised beds in section A needs to be resolved, improved as farmers in that area are discouraged with the mud. After discussion, it was determined per R Hinz’s suggestion to get a load of stone to build the area up. Motion made per M Hahn,second per C Adler to get a load of stone for the area, approved by all. Ralph will research cost and get back to the board.

3)Organic farmers requesting to go to overhead watering. Ralph has been working on details to get the section up and running, however, upon locating the box and noting some disconnected wires is unable to get the section to run. Ralph doesn’t have the equipment to determine the problem so an irrigation fella has been called to work the problem.

4) Discussion re the need for farmer work parties to spruce up the farm, will schedule one during the week and one on a weekend to capture more help, dates to be determined .

Motion to adjourn per M Hahn, second per C Adler

Next meeting : 11/8 @ 5 pm @ the farm