Present: M Kahn, J Kollmann, M Hughes, J Tyson
Absent: R Hinz, L Dillard, R Dillard, K Burroughs, S Burns
This was our annual meeting and about 20 farmers attended. Introductions were made and farmers were asked how they heard about the farm. The farmers who attended also participated in the discussion of marketing ideas the board could utilize to attract more farmers.
1) Festival Update per T Rosen:
Menu is set, 3 protein dishes, 3 sides, 2 desserts, will provide ice and water.
Jane will order tables and chairs for 4/30, pickup 5/2, will get needed dinner supplies.
Monica will send blast to Farmers for volunteers on 5/1 starting at 10:00 for table setup and flower arrangement.
Linny will have table for 50/50 raffle, Ron will man the admission table.
Tom Kollmann will direct parking.
All hands on deck by 3:30.
2) Newly elected Board :
Karen Burroughs, Joe Tyson, Jane Kollmann 3 yr term
Susan Burns, 1 yr term with roll over to 2020 election.
3) Survey discussion among Farmers at the meeting, M Kahn updated group on depreciation of assets, noting 57% of plots are rented therefore farm revenues have declined. Farmers were asked for suggestions on how to raise revenues and cut costs.
Suggestions are as follows:
Increase rental fee on raised beds,
Place plot rental availability in Twatl using free monthly add
Getting more Landings residents to the farm by:
a) having a produce giveaway gathering an evening/month
b) having a farm booth at the Health Club Health Fair
c) farm open house
d) farm on garden tour in 2020
e) increase number of raised beds, Blake will contact Duke for cost
f) discussion of increasing plot rental fee, to be added to farm satisfaction survey
g) Farm Facebook page, Instagram page
4) Farm repairs, light on electric fence lamppost needs to be replaced, Jane will find volunteer to help with this. Also message boards needing repairs, Jane will contact Barn Builders to help with this.
5) Irrigation update: all raised bed filters cleaned by soaking in soapy/bleach solution per Jane, all in good working order. Jane will contact all raised bed farmers to let them know how to maintain filters so Irrigation is in good working condition.
6) Solution for lost revenues on plots needing solarization: if plot is cleared and has gone to seed, Farmer will lose weed deposit.
7) Veggie baskets: decided to wait until May when more produce is available
8) Treasurers Report, added per email of 4/18:
Balance sheet: Checking $16,197 which has grown to $18,000 plus month of April to date. Motion to move $12,000 to short term interest bearing account per M Kahn, second per J Kollmann, unanimously approved. The $$ will remain in this account until needed for operating expenses.
$50 Board credit on plot rental donated to farm per L Dillard. Item should be addressed at next meeting , this is not sanctioned in current bylaws, should cease practice or amend bylaws. Also needing discussion is length of terms of the officers which isn’t addressed in the bylaws.
Past due statements sent to farmers in 31-90 day category, and also to 1-30 category. F/U per phone if payments not received.
Festival update: 132 participants registered, R Dillard offered to man the registration table.
9) Other business: M Hughes will put together a cell phone # list to improve communication among the Board members.
Next meeting, May 22, 4:00 pm at the Farm